Table of Contents
If you’re looking for a healthy and flavorful protein option, ground turkey is an excellent choice. It’s lean, versatile, and packed with protein. However, plain ground turkey can sometimes be a little bland. That’s where this recipe for seasoned ground turkey comes in. With just a few simple ingredients, you can turn a plain ground turkey into a flavorful and delicious dish.
What is Seasoned Ground Turkey
Seasoned ground turkey is a ground turkey that has been flavored with a variety of herbs and spices to add flavor and enhance its taste. It is important to consider personal preferences as well as the type of dish you are preparing when choosing seasonings. Popular herbs and spices used to season ground turkey include garlic, cumin, chili powder, and onion powder, among others. Seasoned ground turkey can be used in a wide range of dishes, such as tacos, meatballs, burgers, and chili, and is a healthier alternative to seasoned ground beef due to its lower fat content.
Ingredients for Seasoned Ground Turkey
Ground turkey: This is the main ingredient and protein source for this recipe.
Chili powder: It adds a warm, earthy flavor and a bit of heat to the seasoned ground turkey.
Cumin: This spice has a warm and earthy flavor with a slightly bitter edge.
Dried oregano: It adds a floral and herbaceous flavor to the seasoned ground turkey.
Garlic powder: It provides a pungent and slightly sweet taste that pairs well with other spices.
Onion powder: This powder is made by grinding dried onions and provides a sweet and slightly pungent flavor to the seasoned ground turkey.
Kosher salt: It has a milder flavor than table salt and is less processed.
Black pepper: This adds subtle heat and pungency to the seasoned ground turkey.
Chicken stock: This is used to add moisture to the seasoned ground turkey and enhance the flavor.
- Ground turkey, 1 pound
- Chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon
- Chicken stock, 1/2 cup
Step By Step Instructions To Make Seasoned Ground Turkey
Over medium heat, preheat a large skillet. During cooking, break up the ground turkey with a wooden spoon. Ensure no pink remains in the ground turkey after it has been browned.
After adding the stock and spices, turn the heat to low. Add the sauce to the meat and stir until it is coated. Once the liquid is reduced and thickened a bit, simmer it for 5 minutes.
Put it in the recipe of your choice.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a non-stick pan or a well-seasoned cast iron skillet to prevent the meat from sticking.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook the ground turkey in batches if necessary to avoid steaming the meat and to allow it to brown evenly.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as you go. Seasoned ground turkey is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many different dishes, so adjust the seasoning to match the flavor profile of your dish.
- Don’t use ground turkey that has been sitting in the fridge for too long, as it can spoil and become unsafe to eat.
- Don’t use too much salt, as ground turkey is already high in sodium.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is ground turkey healthier than ground beef?
Ground turkey is often considered to be a healthier option than ground beef, as it is lower in fat and calories.
How long can I store seasoned ground turkey in the fridge?
Seasoned ground turkey can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Can I use other types of ground meat instead of turkey?
Yes, you can use ground beef, chicken, pork, or lamb instead of turkey.
Can I make this dish spicy?
Yes, you can add more chili powder or red pepper flakes to make this dish spicier. Just be sure to adjust the seasoning to your taste.
What can I serve with seasoned ground turkey?
Seasoned ground turkey can be served with rice, quinoa, or roasted vegetables. It can also be used as a filling for tacos, burritos, or wraps.
- Calories: 150
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Sodium: 415mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 2.9g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.1g
- Sugars: 0g
- Protein: 29g
Please note that this nutritional information may vary depending on the specific ingredients and amounts used in the recipe.
To sum it up, a seasoned ground turkey is a fantastic option for a healthy and delicious protein-packed meal. The blend of spices and herbs used in this recipe gives the ground turkey a fantastic depth of flavor without adding excessive amounts of salt or unhealthy fats.
More Delicious Recipes
Seasoned Ground Turkey Recipe
- 1 pound Ground turkey
- 1/2 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- Over medium heat, preheat a large skillet. During cooking, break up the ground turkey with a wooden spoon. Ensure no pink remains in the ground turkey after it has been browned.
- After adding the stock and spices, turn the heat to low. Add the sauce to the meat and stir until it is coated. Once the liquid is reduced and thickened a bit, simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Put it in the recipe of your choice.